Saturday, March 24, 2007

Synchronicity

Ha! And you thought I was going to talk about the music of Police. Although I do like the song and other music by "Police" I'd like to direct your attention to the synchronicity that was coined and described by the Swiss Psychiatrist Carl Gustav Jung. A "synchronous" situation is one in which at least two events occur acausally (not by cause and effect) but are nevertheless, invariably linked. They hold significant meaning for the "perceiver" of the events, and can not be explained as happenstance.

From Wikipedia:

"A well-known example of synchronicity is the true story of the French writer Émile Deschamps who in 1805 was treated to some plum pudding by the stranger Monsieur de Fortgibu. Ten years later, he encountered plum pudding on the menu of a Paris restaurant, and wanted to order some, but the waiter told him the last dish had already been served to another customer, who turned out to be de Fortgibu. Many years later in 1832 Émile Deschamps was at a diner, and was once again offered plum pudding. He recalled the earlier incident and told his friends that only de Fortgibu was missing to make the setting complete — and in the same instant the now senile de Fortgibu entered the room."

I bet you know what' s coming next, right. Yes, I do have my own stories of personal experiences with Synchronicity that I would like to share. Precognition and Deja-vu were also experiences that were plentiful during my "Anamnestic" period. Unfortuneately, the experiences have lessened if frequency, at the same time, allowing me to at least function again, unlike the time of the "Anamnesis".

No comments: