Friday, January 25, 2008

The Audacity

So I've discovered a music editing program called Audacity the other day. It's really cool. I searched for one because I have purchased a book "The Everything Learning Russian Book", and with it came a CD to accompany some of the exercises in the text. One of the tracks was the Russian alphabet included. The speaker went from one letter to the next in fairly rapid succession. With Audicity you can import that track or file and analyze it. You can delay parts in the track or you can cut them out or repeat them. Totally Cool! Now I hear the Russian alphabet letter 5 times before it goes to the next letter, all in the same file. That is Cool! Depending on my success at learning Russian, I intend to tackle Japanese, as well. Just not looking forward to the Kanji. That just screams intimidation.

If you've ever watched Carl Sagan's Cosmos series, then your somewhat familiar with Vangelis's Musical Score for the films. It usually appeared as the show was beginning and ending. Very smooth and haunting feel to it. Vangelis's whole version has a lot of extra music to accompany that. So I took the whole track and imported it to Audacity. I cut the extra music out and repeated just one 3 minute and 30 second section. That's where the real goods are anyway, in my opinion.

Ahh.... I feel like I'm floating out there in the non-Earth Cosmos.
I suppose it could be a combination of the two beers and Ambien I had.
All, Well; Good night or Good day.

2 comments:

Kappa no He said...

That sounds wonderful. We do a lot with music and editing it on the computers here so I will tell the family. It will be a godsend I'm sure.

What made you want to study Russian? I'm curious. I'm actually interested in Slavic languages myself, Dad being Polish and all.

Japanese is easy, I think. Kanji rocks too. Although it takes many hours of filling notebooks. The only difficult part is whent you get to the point where you need to be able to humble yourself to such'n'such a person or elevate them to a certain degree, no more no less. That's all way subtle but powerful. Language is so cool.

MDK said...

I think part of the reason why I'd like to study Russian is that it was just one of two superpowers in the world during the cold war era.
I'd like to learn how the "other half" lived, in their native tongue.

Another reason is I find the language simply fascinating (what little I know, anyway). It just seems to expertly roll from the tongue.

I also read that 25% of the worlds scientific literature is written in Russian, or a closely related slavic language. And then there is the arts, too. Like Pushkin, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and of course Anton Chekhov.

I'm also using language studying as a push to try to force myself to focus.

As far as Japanese, I respect their culture and way of life. I would enjoy spending a large amount of time in Japan, being fluent in both their language and culture.